tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

+2
Swanny
mudra
6 posters

Any tips for preps ?

mudra
    mudra

Any tips for preps ? Empty Any tips for preps ?

Post  mudra Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:05 am

Any tips for preps ? Live-Begins-at-the-end-of-your-comfort-zone

Are you ready ?

If you have been on these forums for a while for most of you preparation for emergency times are already a done.

For others as myself this is still on their todo list.

I now have the time, space and some money to invest in this so I turn  to you experienced and wise people  to devote this thread to  tips for preps.

Not such a huge investment I would think and it may well make a difference in case of emergency.

From elementary to more sophisticated, from crucial to secondary,  what are your advices in terms of:

Food
    House hold
    Health and hygiene
    Natural Remedies
    Vits or superfoods supplies
    Emergency kit
    Survival items
    Clothing
    Indoors stuff
    Outdoors stuff
    Etc...

Where does an ignorant fool as I alone with a daughter and absolutely no muscles nor a man around  proceed ?

Well I have got some ideas but it would be great you share your expertise , common sense and wits for our larger public to benefit from.

Thank You
    Much Love

mudra

Swanny
    Swanny

Any tips for preps ? Empty Re: Any tips for preps ?

Post  Swanny Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:10 am

My advice is get yourself a water filter Water

https://sawyer.com/products/mini-filter/
    https://www.sawyereurope.com/

You can make do with out the other stuff but you can't make do with out clean safe water

IMO everyone should have one of these filters

But don't believe the hype, we aren't going to die Very Happy
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:31 am

Swanny wrote:My advice is get yourself a water filter Water

You can make do with out the other stuff but you can't make do with out clean safe water

Thank you Swanny very useful to have indeed ☺

I am pretty sure I'll leave the body some day. I would hope so specially when it will be all worn out. But I really don't know when and could not care less at the moment.

Love from me
    mudra
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:11 am

Swanny wrote:My advice is get yourself a water filter Water

We have several different sizes of the Berkey water filter.

https://www.amazon.com/Berkey-Gravity-Fed-Filter-Purification-Elements/dp/B00CYW3EVO/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=Berkley+water+filter&qid=1581779440&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-4-catcorr

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:27 am

I've made a number of lists for food but these are at the top of the food list.

rice
    oatmeal
    nuts
    nut butters (peanut, almond, macadamia, seseme seed, etc.)
    flour/yeast/salt to make artisan bread
    jelly/jams
    honey
    maple syrup
    pancake mix
    dehydrated fruit, vegetables, meat
    bullion (chicken & beef)
    Dehydrated Miso soup mix
    Variety of dried soup mixes
    Egg flower soup mix
    canned fish & meat
    variety of dried noodles
    variety of pasta sauces
    variety of dried beans, lentils
    always keep a few dozen of eggs on hand - can also be frozen and used for cooking later
    olive oil (can also be used with a candle wick for light)
    coconut oil
    spices (salt, pepper, cinnamon, cayenne, garlic, etc.)
    vinegar (s) - variety / white vinegar for cleaning and getting rid of rust.
    bleach
    baking soda
    rotate fresh produce

We make banana oatmeal breakfast cookies, which are delicious.. so frozen bananas in the freezer on hand is a good idea

2 mashed bananas
    1 cup instant quick oats
    1/2 cup old fashion oats
    1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
    walnuts optional.. I also had cinnamon

Let sit for 10-15 min for oats to absorb moisture, bake in preheated 350° oven for 10-15 minutes

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol
    Vidya Moksha
    Vidya Moksha

Post  Vidya Moksha Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:30 pm

The Sawyer filter Swanny describes is an amazing piece of kit, and cheap. But it wont take being frozen, even once. It wont work afterwards. I have a couple and have gifted some as well. great Kit!

The berkey filter kits are ridiculously expensive, but I do carry a couple of their candles as its easy to make a container to hold them, anything you can drill a couple of holes in will do. The filters last a lifetime.

You can buy cheap stainless steel water filers on amazon, and put your own candles in them.

When I was in India I was travelling with a 35 litre backpack. It always had a water filter in it (a swiss-made Katadyn). I always carry a hat. And a spare hat Wink

Basic first aid, something to close wounds. Needle and thread, or these days there are strong fabric wound closure strips. Tampons are excellent and cheap for puncture wounds. Iodine for sterilizing wounds and water. small surgical scissors. Clamps for blood vessels. These small items will save your life until better aid arrives.

Merino wool is excellent. It is anti bacterial, it can be worn for a week without smelling (if you need to go so long without bathing). Its light and incredibly warm.

Buy food you like to eat! Simple as. Buy 10% more of everything that will keep ok every time you do your weekly shop and store it. Rotate your supplies. Honey keeps forever without spoiling.

Best solution is to learn to forage. I eat a lot of nettles, free, abundant, tasty, easy to prepare and super nutritious. Find out whats local to you. You dont need to store this type of food, its better nutritionally than a lot of the junk they sell in shops and you dont have to worry about someone stealing it.  Keep chickens.

Cous cous is excellent and so easy to make. I love chick peas and keep a few kilos of dried beans in the van. If I eat Pasta i am hungry 10 minutes later, so i dont eat it and dont buy it.  I buy Tahini in bulk.

Head torch, batteries, candles. Lighters.  A small cooker you can use when there is no power.. there are some amazingly portable solid wood camp cookers available these days. I have a small alcohol stove (trangia) but its easy to build a rocket stove almost anywhere. What are you going to cook in?

So much depends on where you are based, what 'energy' is available. if the SHTF then there may be no mains electricity, no gas, no water.

What lengths are you gong to to protect what is 'yours'? Are you mobile? etc etc..

You NEED shelter and water. The rest you can make up as you go along flower

its always a good idea to have a grab bag made up. A waterproof 'kayak' bag is excellent.

I always have a few kilos of coffee beans in my van.. talking of essentials Cup o Toast  
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:41 pm

Thank you Carol. I knew you would add something related to food ☺

A pretty good list.
    I would add Barley and buckwheat as they are both very nutricious.
    Also seeds to sprout and dried seaweeds as Nori and Iziki.

Miso is an excellent choice.
    I buy the concentrated one.

I have a question for Swanny. That Sawyer mini you advise , is there a pissibility to change the filter over time or does one need to buy a new device ?
    This is'nt specified in the notice I saw.

Thank you both ☺

Love from me
    mudra

Vidya Moksha
    Vidya Moksha

Post  Vidya Moksha Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:06 pm

mudra wrote:
    I have a question for Swanny. That Sawyer mini you advise , is there a pissibility to change the filter over time or does one need to buy a new device ?
    This is'nt specified in the notice I saw.

The Sawyers are 30 euros to buy, and are just a 'filter'. so the answer to your question is 'no', there is no replacement filter.

The filters clog with use but are backwashed to clean them. They will last almost forever. But they dont filter chemicals, and I am not sure about viruses... but for 99% of the time they are prefect. With dirty water its better to do a rough filter first (with anything, sphagnum moss is good!) Just to remove the 'dirt' so the filter doesnt get blocked.

The berkey filters can include chemical filtration too, more expensive but a one time investment. My katadyn had a silver membrane too.. again, perhaps 150 euros but a one time buy.

I have 3 filtration systems, 2 of them are good for travelling, the other is way too big to be portable.
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:10 pm

Thanks Vidhya 👌
    Many good ideas there Thubs Up

I was also looking to buying a tent.
    Something easy to move around.

Documenting myself a bit about that I realized problably a 4 season one is the best choice ? Also one that's made of strong waterproof material, also rather light to carry and that can be mounted easily.

Would the following ones be a good choice ?

Ferrino Manaslu 2 FR
    https://www.snowleader.be/fr/manaslu-2-fr-FERR00312.html

Huosky Bret Husky
    https://www.snowleader.be/fr/bret.html

And then any advice for the matras and sleeping bag ?

Love from me
    mudra

mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:14 pm

I feel so blessed to have you, my friends, to ask advice to.
    Can you imagine I have absolutely no one else to ask around me ?
    Well I realize it and am quite amazed.

Love from me
    mudra
    Swanny
    Swanny

Post  Swanny Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:37 pm

Like Vidya said, they aren't expensive. Best bet is to buy a couple and keep one unused as a spare

Both of those tents look good to me but I don't really know much. They both have good waterproof numbers
    Vidya Moksha
    Vidya Moksha

Post  Vidya Moksha Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:00 pm

mudra wrote:
    I was also looking to buying a tent.
    Something easy to move around.

Ferrino Manaslu 2 FR

Huosky Bret Husky

And then any advice for the matras and sleeping bag ?

Mattress, sleeping pad, is an easy one. Thermarest. End of realistic choices Wink And they are super. You can buy a thicker one, its a bit heavier but a bit more comfortable. Almost all your heat is lost through the ground at night. They pack really small and you blow them up like a lilo for the beach. But they are tough, last forever unless you puncture one through carelessness and then they are easy to repair with a bike puncture kit.

https://www.thermarest.com/ie/products/sleeping-pads

Tent, not so easy. I often just use my thermarest (which was always in 35 litre sack, even through india Wink ).. with a tarpaulin, or a nylon sheet, which i tie to trees, its waterproof and nice, in the right environment. In India I used a mosquito net as well ..
    Any tips for preps ? Tarp10

I did travel with a rainforest hammock for a while.. that was ok too.
    Any tips for preps ? 2004-110

Tents.. its not about the season, but the strength. The poles will break on cheap tents.  You need a good  design against the wind. I have the prefect tent, for me.. its designed for cyclists, and has a front 'porch' for the bikes.. which i use as a kitchen and dry store.. and its only a few kilos (2 or 3 kg I cant remember)

Any tips for preps ? The_fi10

its also VauDe, and german engineering is, well.... german engineering Wink it is quality kit.

here's me in an ancient forest in NZ
    Any tips for preps ? Tent10

questions? do you want to carry it on your back? on a bike? in a car? all depends on weight. How big? sit up? stand up? only lie down? how many people? just you? 2?

sleeping bag. 5 season. Synthetic is good in the wet, bulky, heavy, man made plastic fibres.. I used one for years. scared of getting it wet, then i bought a down bag.. its lovely, luxurious, warm, natural and its never got wet, .. i still use it in my van, i decided quilt / duvet etc was too bulky for the van.

The warmest bag you can get, and in summer unzip it and use it like a duvet.. again size and weight are an issue? Probably looking at mountaineering bags. mountain equipment, Rab, North Face, VauDe, Patagonia etc...
    Vidya Moksha
    Vidya Moksha

Post  Vidya Moksha Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:12 pm

mudra wrote:
    Would the following ones be a good choice ?

Ferrino Manaslu 2 FR

i dont like the 'window' but a better shape.
    Huosky Bret Husky

not this one, its a poor shape, will always catch the wind

if you answer my questions above, how you will carry it etc i will maybe have some suggestions. MIne is a Vaude Hogan XT , if you can find one, they dont make them anymore.
    Swanny
    Swanny

Post  Swanny Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:18 pm

I have a Thermarest. It might be good but I hate it, I hate camping full stop Insanely Happy
    Vidya Moksha
    Vidya Moksha

Post  Vidya Moksha Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:34 pm

They might have made a new version of my tent? I need to look some more but you can buy one.. i would look to find the same tent for a lot less money, but they are the best ten I could find and I have never found a better one. Here's  what I just saw..
    https://www.vaude.com/en-GB/Products/Eco-Fair-Collection/Green-Shape/Hogan-SUL-XT-2-3P?number=124841820
    This tent is 3 person and weighs 2kg, my old one is 2 person and weights 3kg! its twice the price as mine, but I have had mine for 12 years now. Which in itself is a good recommendation! I would be interested in this tent, if i was looking for one, I am happy with mine. Indeed, if I sell my van and buy a small 4x4 I may well be living in this tent again until I build something bigger Wink

and i just found this, for your amusement..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_N-KKYH5Xw

by todays standards this is a heavy tent! 3 kg. I can carry it, and if there are 2 of you then its easy (and good space for 2 people).  When I was in my 20's I could carry up to 50kg on my back, ! in my 30s and 40s i travelled with up to 23kgs, which was enough! and now in my 50s I would like to keeo my bag to around 10kgs if possible. So 3kg for a tent is a decision, if you have to carry it on your back. On a bike or car then its weight is not an issue.

As I say, only 2 essentials in life, shelter and water. Food is nice but non essential in that there is a lot around for free and you can actually go a long time without. You are only hungry when there is food in your gut. Biggest issue with no food is heat loss. You dont produce body heat, nothing to burn, and you do get cold.. and the energy does tail off. In a harsh (or maybe all?)  environment you can go 2 weeks without food. Then you would be in trouble. (presuming you are 'active' you could sit longer in a remote cave somewhere for longer Wink ) But I cant think of many places where there is no food, and those i can think about I dont want to be in Wink.

You could live in the hills of sri lanka forever, food and water abundant. Find a remote spot, hope the elephants dont mind, and you would be fine..

My van is a perfect shelter at the  moment, with the wood burner on as yet another storm comes through.. it has rained here for nearly 6 months, with a 2 week break. A reminder why shelter is so important. I would not like to be in my tent in this weather. I could do it, but it would be miserable.

If you dont get the shelter right the rest of the prep is meaningless, you wont be around to use the kit. Its the same in a 'house' or city. What happens after no supplies of anything after a couple of days?

A small hatchett is essential for firewood, or something to chop wood. And you need to be able to sharpen it.

you need to be able to make a small fire. Only need the axe and the know-how.

essential kit: small axe, first aid kit, axe sharpening stone, water filter, water bottles, hat, glasses, compass, head torch & lithium batteries, matches waterproof for emergency) and lighters (for everyday use).  sharp knife for carving (spoons etc) and cutting /eating. Bahco make a good waterproof knife perfect for the job. technically non essential but important: Thermarest, tent. (you could use the hatchett to make a shelter and a bed).  small stove and cooking pot.  handy: small pruning saw. small, packable and very useful for a lot of jobs.  I just treated myself to a nice japanese folding pruning saw Wink

IM sure there's more, but not from me just now  cheers

Last edited by Vidya Moksha on Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Vidya Moksha
    Vidya Moksha

Post  Vidya Moksha Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:39 pm

Swanny wrote:I have a Thermarest. It might be good but I hate it, I hate camping full stop Insanely Happy

. They are the best available. There is a new version that looks and sounds like a huge packet of crisps, but its like a mattress for comfort. I bought the 5 season 'standard;.so no rustling crisp packet, , its about 35mm thick and i cant feel the ground through it. It supports my weight. You get used to them and anatomically they are pretty good. But I know what you mean Wink it is a last resort. I have top of the range foam in my van lol!

Ma mudra was talking prepping, not glamping Wink
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:57 pm

Swanny wrote:I have a Thermarest. It might be good but I hate it, I hate camping full stop Insanely Happy

My only experience with camping has been a memorable time where we went to meet friends in a camping in France.

In preparation my husband dugged his old boyscout gear from the cellar and off we went. I just trusted he knew everything that needed to be known.

That night  I slept on a deflating mattress and a cold sleeping bag. We had with no pots and pans nor anything that would make things practical at hand

I kept complaining how much I hated being there and we argued all night.
    The experience was a horror. I am not ready to do again haha. I would have given everything for a warm bed.
    We nearly split after that week end  LOL

I can't stop laughing on remembering this now 😂

Maybe I'll delay the acquisition of a tent for a while...

Love from me
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:07 pm

Vidya Moksha wrote:

. They are the best available. There is a new version that looks and sounds like a huge packet of crisps, but its like a mattress for comfort. I bought the 5 season 'standard;.so no rustling crisp packet, , its about 35mm thick and i cant feel the ground through it. It supports my weight. You get used to them and anatomically they are pretty good. But I know what you mean Wink it is a last resort. I have top of the range foam in my van lol!

Ma mudra was talking prepping, not glamping Wink

But You Vidhya with that yogic expertise and years of experience  I suspect do levitate over that Thermarest Enlightened

Thank you for all these awesome advices.
    At the moment I am taking notes.
    Bought myself some flash lights today ,rope and strong tape.

My daughter who is anxious over about anything when I am the complete opposite told me today when she saw me bringing these things home that she was so proud of me  Lmfao

Live from me
    mudra
    Vidya Moksha
    Vidya Moksha

Post  Vidya Moksha Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:12 pm

mudra wrote:

Maybe I'll delay the acquisition of a tent for a while...

lol!

I have a good first aid kit. I hope i never have to use it. But if i do need it, i will be blessed to have a good one.

You dont need a tent. There are other places to seek shelter. There is independence with a tent.

And with the right gear its ok. I have spent a lot of time in tents.

But as you know now from experience, its just as important to know what you are doing, then the kit is secondary as you can improvise.
    Vidya Moksha
    Vidya Moksha

Post  Vidya Moksha Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:18 pm

mudra wrote:

My daughter who is anxious over about anything when I am the complete opposite told me today when she saw me bringing these things home that she was so proud of me  Lmfao

Live from me
    mudra

Thubs Up The Winner

i have 2 of these. Ridiculously versatile, batteries last forever.. good have hands free etc
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Petzl-Zipka-Headlamp-Red-Size/dp/B01KYTRF9K

mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:36 pm

Some tips here from the Truther girl regarding flu and viruses prevention.
    I can as well add them here:

https://youtu.be/GGP1KviE9XU

Love Always
    mudra
    Swanny
    Swanny

Post  Swanny Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:20 am

Why do they say Erbs instead of Herbs ? scratch
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:40 am

Swanny wrote:Why do they say Erbs instead of Herbs ? scratch

Who is they ? And do they ? scratch

Love from me
    mudra

Swanny
    Swanny

Post  Swanny Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:00 am

They seems to be those American types, they seem to struggle with English geek
    Vidya Moksha
    Vidya Moksha

Post  Vidya Moksha Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:48 am

Swanny wrote:Why do they say Erbs instead of Herbs ? scratch
    I wont watch it.
    I am still laughing at 'Truther Girl'. Is that a cartoon character? what super powers has she? does she have a cape?

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 5:45 am